Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Boo! Halloween Cookies and Pumpkin Carving


My mother-in-law asked me to make cookies for her, probably about 5 months ago.  She said whenever you want, when you have time.  So....it took me awhile.  But I was so happy I waited.  I know fall is her favorite time of year, as well as mine, so naturally it's my favorite themed cookie to make.
I could probably make 50 different versions of a fall leaf, the possibilities are endless.  I chose a "sponge" technique for these particular leaves.  Yes, it's slightly 80's, but you can't tell me that you didn't have some kind of sponged painting over a stencil somewhere in your house at one point.
I chose a darker ivory (Americolor Ivory) for the base color, squirted other fall colors onto a plate and  used wadded up paper towel to "sponge" on the cookie.



I thought about adding some red "blood" drops off of his fangs, but decided that was taking it a little too far and probably too gross for me. I know the giant spider cake I made had some blood, but I definitely can't handle any of that gory business. The last haunted house I went to was about 16 years ago and I hid my face in the coat of my friend's little sister the entire time. I also think I was scarred by watching Children of the Corn way too early.  





Piping and flooding the pumpkin in sections with some drying time in between gave these cookies a little more dimension.

We just carved our pumpkins last night. I'm so very spoiled.  My husband does things for me like cleaning out the inside of the pumpkin so that I was able to only partake in the fun part of carving. It was still a lot more work than I remembered. We both chose animals that Amelie is very into right now.  Johnny did an awesome job on the owl.  I picked a simple black cat with a mustache whiskers.



Of course Amelie wanted to "help."



Have a Happy Halloween Everyone!






No comments:

Post a Comment