Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Cake Bomb


Don't tell me it hasn't happened to you. I know something you've made has ended up in the trash. 
I had a home economics class in junior high. We made biscuits and coffee cakes and plenty of other simple culinary delights. It's quite fitting because I remember the cookies and coffee cake, but some how everything else we learned in that class has slipped my mind.  Oh, I think we also sewed a little apron and maybe a stuffed mouse with a button eye.  I remember that when we were watching the teacher mix together the ingredients she would always interrupt our shenanigans with her stern,"if you don't pay attention, you won't know what to do and it will not turn out right!!!!!"  Wellllllllll, she was right, wasn't she?
I believe the first cake I made post-home ec. was for Johnny after we were married.  Good old Duncan Hines yellow cake mix and a chocolate can of frosting.  For some reason it seemed like it would be a good idea to make a really cool star out of my square cakes. Why I chose the star shape, I have no idea. The cake was cut in sections, reassembled and frosted. I think half of the cake ended up smeared in the frosting because I frosted the cut sides. Needless to say, it didn't look like a star. Johnny still remembers this cake.

Someone I know made cinnamon cumin chocolate chip cookies. She heard that cinnamon would add a nice flavor to her regular chocolate chip cookies, so she added a little to her dry ingredients.  Her house didn't have that wonderful aroma of cookies baking, for some reason she smelled tacos. With one taste, she could tell something was off.
A relative of mine made a really great version of green bean casserole for Thanksgiving. You know the casserole with beans, mushroom soup, and french fried onions?  Well this version has a small red round plastic lid baked inside.  Mmmmmmm, yes the lid to the french fried onions.
Or how about chicken coated with frosted flakes instead of corn flakes?  

These are the kind of baking stories that I love to hear the most. Which is why I want to tell you one of my favorite websites.  www.cakewrecks.com
Take a good 15 minutes and look at some of these cakes. Hilarious.

I have a picture to show to you of my cake fail from a few months ago, but first I'll show you a pretty little cake I made. A lemon chiffon cake with a light whipped lemon buttercream frosting, and a couple little fondant flower buds.

Fondant flower buds

Fondant flower buds



Here is my cake fail. It didn't even make it out of the oven.  Well actually it did, but it was consumed by my garbage can.
If you concentrate and look through the dirty oven door (yes it's clean now), you'll notice the giant overflowing cake dripping onto the foil I placed beneath it.  I would have been fine with it if I figured out why it happened.  I used all correct fresh ingredients, measured and weighed perfectly.  I threw out my just opened can of baking powder and I didn't have the problem again so it may have been the culprit.
Baking is a science, they say.



No comments:

Post a Comment