Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Cancer is a jerk.

I just looked up the statistics on how many women will get breast cancer in a lifetime and it's 1 in 8. That doesn't make me like my boobs very much, or cancer.  My mom, two of her sisters, my grandmother (dad's mom), and a few other women I know have had breast cancer. It's scary to think about how many people you know that have had to fight for their lives unexpectedly and without knowing the outcome.
I do admire the strength that these women around us exude. I know nothing of what it takes to have to care for oneself when taken over by an illness such as this.  I do know that the support of other women must mean something. To have someone take care of you and not just offer. I am not comparing a c-section to cancer, but that was the first time that I have ever had to lean on anyone in my adult life. There is something to say about the people that come to your side because they love you.

The pink ribbon is supposed to be a symbol of hope and the color of strength.  If you wear it, post it, display it, or in my case eat it, it shows that you support these women. Shannon Picard asked for me to make some cookies to take to a funeral luncheon for her husband Jeremy's late Aunt Jenny.

Jennifer (Jenny) Kay Mitchell
5/17/72 - 4/28/13


I wrote a post with an example of how to create a cookie using cutters that you currently have, to make a cookie in a shape that you don't have.  The picture above shows another way to do this, by making a template.  All you have to do is draw out your design and cut it out, place it on the cookie and use a sharp knife to cut around it.
You'll want to use something plastic like a lid from a large oatmeal container. This way it won't get soggy from all the yummy butter that is soaks up from the dough.  It will take about three times as long as using a cookie cutter, but your results will be the same. This is the first time that I have done this, but I will definitely take the time to do it again to make a cookie with a special meaning such as this.



No comments:

Post a Comment